Sunday, January 2, 2011

Finding The Other


 














FINDING THE OTHER

Here I wait; I’m all alone
Across the world and down this street
Amidst a swell of strange refrain
Amongst the dead
And lives seared with pain

Here I sit without a sound
Behind the walls I dare not leave
I’m left to ponder, left to pray
I see your faces
You’re so far away

But I’m not the only stranger
To walk these streets in wonder
They seem to ache to know themselves
And cast their masks asunder

I lay here, up in this room
Just not quite shielded from the noise
And the heat of the afternoon
Surrounded by
A contrived cocoon


I’m the one that can’t belong
A nameless face that walks their streets
What could possibly bring me here
Behind their eyes
Hides a curious fear

It’s here aloof I must remain
Imprisoned by the mark I bear
Even betrayed by the words I speak
Bound by the clothes I wear


The strangeness that they see in me
I see reflected all around
They trade their culture and their pride
To imitate
A place they cannot find

And though they might trade earthly names
To escape these streets they know so well
They could not sell that place in side
That calls them home
To their children’s side


And so they’re left to wonder;
The sun sets on another day
And I must leave, I must go home
And so must they

So as I sit my mind reflects
The blessing that has brought me here
Masked as a tribulation
A derelict
Cast upon an unknown shore

 
Is the gulf so deep and wide
Can there not be a bridge conceived
To bring me closer to Lazarus
A place where fear
Is dissolved by trust?

And then I see the face of God
I see the children love each other
And then they turn and welcome me
Accept me as a brother
And love me as a brother

Stewart Brewer
Chiquimula, Guatemala
July 22, 2001

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.